Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparency issues in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2010
US
Hello,
I am putting together an assembly, and for some reason or another, I now am unable to make parts transparent. They all went grey, even though some were blue and red etc. When i click change trans., it simply takes the lines off of the part, leaving just shaded with no lines. But alas, no transparency. What has happened and is there any way to fix it? It is not essential, but very helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, so I figured out why it is doing this, now I need to figure something else out. It is because when I created a configuration, the display state went from display state 1-default, to the new configuration one (display state 2). I didn't change anything about how the components should LOOK though, just one configuration of one part. How do I make all of the parts retain their visual properties with this new configuration?

1 - Is large assembly mode active? (Tools->Large Assembly Mode)
2 - Are you using an approved card?
3 - Is this a new problem, or has it happened on other assemblies?
4 - Have you recently upgraded SolidWorks?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

I am using SW2009, I believe the first release. the graphics card is the 6800xt from nVidia. I am not sure if it is approved.
the assembly changes the color scheme from the default config to the new config, even though I didn't choose any different visual aspects....why does it do that? I can make anything I want trans. in the default configuration, and nothing in my new configuration. All I changed was one part. And i do not know if it happens in other assemblies, this is my first attempt at using configurations, and i think I will abandon this if it continues to present issues. Thank you for your help!

Hey, solved. The issue is with display states. there is a checkbox to link them to configurations. This needs to be unchecked. Then, there can not be two different configuration names that do not differ in configuration (i.e. I had a default and an EXTENDED, but both were the EXTENDED configuration of the parts). SW wants me to know that these are two different configuration names, so it greys out one even though the display state is supposedly the same. So, if you want to use the same display states with different configurations, rename default to one, and then create your other one with a different configuration. Sorry if this is confusing, hopefully this will help someone out down the line. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back