Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparent Chemical Resistant Polymer

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchme

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2015
US
We are experiencing stress cracking on our current design using PolyCarbonate and I am looking for a transparent highly chemical resistant polymer to replace the PC. The solvents the material will be exposed to are primarily quaternary ammonium compounds. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Polystyrene is cheapest but out because it has very poor chemical resistance.

SAN is chemically resistant but has low impact resistance so that is probably out because you were probably using polycarbonate for it's impact resistance.

Next is transparent ABS, i.e. Terlux which is chemically resistant and has good impact resistance. It's used in parts exposed to chemicals and detergents. The base resin is SAN and then they add some impact modifier.

Chris DeArmitt PhD
President - Phantom Plastics LLC

Trusted adviser to leading companies around the world

I have a feeling that important requirements like temperature resistance or stiffness are missing here.

Copolyesters like Tritan from Eastman have been used to replace polycarbonate. Polymethylpentene is used for chemically-resistant containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back