Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparent fluid or gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbkenn

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2010
IE
Does anyone know if there is a fluid or gel that is relatively transparent to IR/cutting laser light ?
Obviously, water isn't ! I am only thinking of a few cm, but want it to be as energy efficient as possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps if you told us what you're trying to accomplish we can be more helpful... not many (inexpensive) fluids that pass near-IR that come to the top of my mind.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I want to shine the laser through a short column of fluid before focusing for cutting. I doubt that cost will be relevant in the quantity that I have in mind. Water will probably work, but I want to lose as little and minimise heating as much as possible.

Water is most likely to be your most transmissive fluid.

Additionally, I question the notion of trying to ablate something under a fluid. The cooling effect of the fluid will force you to apply a much higher power level to being with. Additionally, since the temperature in the kerf will most likely exceed the boiling point of the fluid, you will get boiling at the kerf, further reducing the incident power into the kerf, and spoiling the beam, making kerf quality extremely poor.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

There is a good, albeit experimental reason, and the power loss/heating of the fluid, is the reason for my question. I understand that quartz is used for lenses ... I want to find a similarly low opacity material.

Not only is quartz a solid, and substantially more transmissive, given that it's most likely anti-reflection coated, the quartz does not ever contact, or come close to, the workpiece, nor is it desirable to do so. The vaporized metal getting deposited onto the lens would be an awful idea, followed by crying and tearing of one's clothes for ruining a perfectly good lens.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back