Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tray Damage Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

imans

Chemical
Nov 7, 2004
ID
Dear Readers,

We have a problems with our Sour Water Stripper operation. Its ability to remove H2S is reduce. We suspect that the tray might have damaged. The column is absorber. It has only pressure tappings on the top and the bottom. I dont have any data of bottom column pressure before the problem arise. Can anyone give me suggestion how to get evidences that the column tray is damage? What kind of measurement should I perform?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not tototally familar with this tower type. But,

If you suspect tray damage an option is a column scan. This will tell you liquid level, distribution (or mal-distribution) over the trays.

tru-tech or traceco are companys i have used in the past. It depends on whom your organisiation has a contract with.

Typically, if you are scanning one column, its worth scanining 2-3 as the mobolisation cost for these guys is typically most of the cost (your moving a radio active source).

One of the top causes for tray damage is high liquid level in the column base - over the reboiler return. check several days/weeks of this data. If you've filled the base of the column with heat on - I'd bet your trays are damaged.

Let me know what you find

James

hi,
1. Check the pressure drop across the column for two different vapour rates(steam)/ reboiler duties. See if there is a difference.(Use the same calibrated gauge for all measurements)
If no difference, trays have fallen. Hope it is trays!!!
2.Try the design operating values.
3. Tell us if it is packed column? Then problem may be poor distribution of bottom steam/vapour distributor or top liq distributor.
4. Is it a refluxed stripper?
5. Is it a reboiled stripper?
6.Check all instruments.
7.Check Lab analysis with a fresh calibration gas First and confirm problem really exists.

Have a gamma scan done from the outside (while the tower is in operation) by True Tec or an equivalent company. They have good experience with that kind of diagnosis.

Yes, gamma scanning does work for packed columns, you need to pick the scan lines carefully to look for poor distribution,level ness on distributiors, reboiler return uneven distribution.

Check tru-tech's web site

imans,

Gamma Scanning will indeed tell you if there is tray damage and also problems in packed beds.

Check out our website at for more information on the service and to request information.

We offer the same services as Tracerco and TruTec at more cost effective pricing.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back