Treated waste discharge to surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterlogged

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2001
US
Hello> I am buying ahouse with a new sand filtration system which discharges
chlorine treated effluent to a dry creek. There is no runoff due to flat terrain
(unless significant rain) so it would appear effluent will either evaporate or remain
(likely both, depending on weather). I am reconcilled to having some water on
the property but do not know what this portends for me in terms of insects and odor.
Discharge piple is roughly 60 feet from house and deck. One person household.
Am I in for it? Good guess accepted.

Thanks,

Hugh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Waterlogged :
I have a similar system which uses sand filtration, chlorination, and a stream discharge. I am required by my WQM Permit (Pennsylvania)to monitor the chlorine levels monthly and fecal choliform annually, so I've spent a good bit of time at the outfall pipe over the past 6 years. I am amazed at the quality and clarity of the water (according to the lab it's drinkable). Even the few times when the chlorine levels dropped below specs I've never had an odor. Bottom line - manage the components, especially the chlorinator, properly and you won't have any trouble from a properly designed system.

dhenne

Dhenne: Thanks so much for your encouraging response. I feel better about
what I am getting into now. Final (hopefully) question does the continuous
discharge of water daily have any negative impact on your soil. (If you have
a running stream it probably does not but I have a dry creek and I wonder
about what 5 or 10 years of wastewater will do to it in a concentrated area
where the water collects until it seeps under the surface, in other words, it
doesn't runoff it runs down ultimately.

Hugh

Dhenne: Thanks so much for your encouraging response. I feel better about
what I am getting into now. Final (hopefully) question does the continuous
discharge of water daily have any negative impact on your soil. (If you have
a running stream it probably does not but I have a dry creek and I wonder
about what 5 or 10 years of wastewater will do to it in a concentrated area
where the water collects until it seeps under the surface, in other words, it
doesn't runoff it runs down ultimately.

Hugh

Hugh :
If the system's treating the sewage properly, the only discharge should be treated effluent, i.e. chlorinated water. The biggest concern I would have is keeping the chlorination low enough to prevent concentrations from killing vegetation in the area. My discharge parameters for Total Residual Chlorine (Trc) is 0.3 -0.5 ppm which is fairly low - low enough to keep from upsetting the balance of the small stream to which I'm discharging. I'm sure the Regulatory Agency overseeing your system has set parameters for you as well.

No No No ..... this is not the way forward! Chlorinated water into a dry creek, whatever next. Flora and Fauna will die, you must reduce residual chlorine to below 0.001 ppm. This is easily achieved by metering a solution of Tihstac at a rate in a domestic output of 86 ml/24 hour. Your regulatory authority will advise on Tihstac supplier in your area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back