Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trench drain vs buried pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kom3

Structural
Nov 20, 2019
US
Hi, has anyone used a trench drain in lieu of a buried pipe to transport chemicals? I have to connect some new drainage to an existing shallow drainage system. I was planning on using buried pipes but customer asked why not just use trench drains along the entire route (200 ft). Both can transport the chemicals but I was concerned about transporting chemicals in a trench drain for long spans. Am I overthinking? Are there any OSHA rules etc that would require the transport of chemicals along large spans to be sealed? This new line will also cross a road if that matters.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trench drain? Like an open channel??

Transporting "chemicals"

What could possibly go wrong??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Do you want to install a pipe inside a trench drain?
But if you're thinking of using the trench to transport chemicals, it seems like a very bad idea.

Without knowing what chemical or climate that you are talking about, it does seems to be a very bad idea.

Since some chemicals evaporate, some chemicals are hazardous, some chemicals solidify, some chemicals are reactive. Trench drains may not be leak proof and have to withstand exposure to the chemical. Rainwater will flush the chemicals into the storm storm sewer which is generally a no no.

If you are transporting the chemical in piping and you are asking about putting the pipe into the trench, that is generally a bad idea as well. Difficult to insulate and the trench will fill up with crud.

Most chemical plants don't want to bury piping and put the piping overhead, unless for water and sewage.

if it is outdoors you would also get other flow in there, stormwater, other spillages etc.
if it is a pipe in a slot i guess the only risk is accidental damage to the pipe and what the consequences would be

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. The transport of chemical waste via trench drains are quite common at the facility I am working at and at other locations. Please see the pictures below for some examples. My main concern was using a trench drain for long distances. I have opted to recommend to the client to only use the trench drains where collection of chemicals are needs and to use a buried pipe at all other points. The main reason will be that trench drains requires more maintenance since they collect debris. Especially since the project site is outside. I also brought up evaporation of the chemicals as a potential concern as well.
2022-08-31_15_14_17-Slot_Drains_vs_Trench_Drains__7_Advantages_of_Slot_Drains_Over_Trench_Drains_and_gepctq.png
2022-08-31_15_13_32-Trench_Drains_and_Slotted_Drains_for_Gas_Stations_and_Fueling_Stations_I_USA_I_E_hkdywv.png

Regards.

your second photo indicates that fuel could spill and be caught in the trench drain [and then perhaps catch fire]. in my experience, there are NFPA rules that may affect this design. similar designs on airfields required fire stops at intervals between runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back