Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trench drains 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmagrp

Geotechnical
Oct 1, 2009
US
I'm doing some research on trench drains and would appreciate some insights.

What are the benefits / weaknesses of using polymer concrete, plastic, fiberglass or cast-in-place concrete trench drains? I can understand weight issues, but why design / recommend one vs. another?

Also, in considering the various sizes of trench drains, if you had to guess, how frequently do you recommend 6", 8" and 12" trench drains?

and one final question, any sense for what % of a project is trench drain (I'm looking for ranges, recognizing that every project is different.

thanks for the help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We mainly spec depending on if there is traffic or not. Some cities require 12" called out on the plans on a driveway even if a smaller one will work fine.

You need to do a hydrology study to figure out the Q that will go into the trench for the area you are designing for. And then match that up with the companies rated Q's.

Over here in Los Angeles you sometimes have to clean the stormwater so the trench drains are a little different and will also have to be able to clean so much of that Q in a given amount of time. The size of the drain depends on where it's being placed, what the drain is picking up, and how much water will end up going in there.

I have also heard different thoughts on using these instead of area drains around pools.

CDG, Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back