Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trench Footing with Perimeter Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMS1978

Civil/Environmental
Apr 1, 2023
US
Hi guys, I'm a general contractor and I could use some help with a detail involving a trench footing with a perimeter drain on a project I'm working on currently. Admittedly, I have not built many structures on a crawlspace, however, when pouring trench footings in the past, I've been told that it is never a good idea to excavate the virgin/compacted soils on the sides of the trench footing as it could sacrifice the structural integrity of the footing. Essentially, the virgin/compacted soils on each side of the trench is what helps to stabilize the footing, thus excavating the soils to install the perimeter drain and gravel is never a good idea. I would love to hear the group's thoughts on this. Subject detail is attached for reference.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=33dff4bd-4903-448d-8753-6f28a029b878&file=Document1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...IMHO, a bad detail. The insulation should be on the outside of the building envelope and the drain tile should be below the insulation, in free draining material, complete with a geofabric encapsulation.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back