Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trimble Geo XT questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

epongra2

Geotechnical
Apr 1, 2003
US
I am an engineering geologist in Southern California. Often, my co-workers and I have a need to record our locations in the field quite accurately. Whether it is a boring or a fault trench, we would like to be able to record this data quite accurately. In the past, this process was accomplished by "traditional methods", i.e. measuring offsets from features on our engineering drawings, triangulation, best guess, etc.

I am looking at purchasing the Trimble Geo XT GPS receiver for my employer. The Geo XT has a claimed post-processing accuracy of less than a meter. The cost is not insignificant, but less than a survey grade GPS system and easy to carry as we traverse through rugged areas.

Does anyone out there have any feedback on this GPS device? I know that it is "relatively" simple to convert from lat/long to Cal. State Plane, but can I then easily convert from Cal. State Plane to the project coordinate system and input the field data into our AutoCAD drawings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have yet to use the XT, but have a Geo3.. which is similar...

I would recommend you get a trial of the equipment before purchase.

Make sure you check the accuracy claims.

Ashtech sells a handheld device that is ideal for GIS data collection called the Mobile Mapper and the accuracy on that is 2-3 meters real-time and no post-processing options. But I've been told that by the end of spring Ashtech will be coming out with tha Mobile Mapper CE that will have post-processing abilities for sub-meter accuracy. We have always used Ashtech for all of our GPS equipment, it is more affordable and we have always had good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back