Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triple effect evaporator

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbill20002000

Chemical
Nov 4, 2001
CA
Hello,

I am trying to set up an Excel application for a 3 stage evaporator, my problem is I have no clue how to create macros, and the how to set up the different level of iterations, any pointer on how to set this up? The book I have by Boonin first edition, is for an old windows version and I have a hard time trying to find the same instructions in XP,

Thanks a lot

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Learning how to swim by jumping in the deep end is one way! Can be more specific with query - Excel has pretty good built in help menu in VBasic - Do you have one iteration of calcs in a spreadsheet or a ref method or paper that I could look at to get you started?

Hi Bill,

There is an excellent book available called `A Guide to Microsoft Excel for Scientists and Engineers` by Bernard V Liengme. ISBN 0 340 69265 0 (in UK) ISBN 0 470 23775 9 (in US).
Shows you how to go about all sorts of engineering type problems, including iteration etc.

Regards,
Neilmo

I don't know how to do it by macro either. I just keep pasting over closer & closer approximations till the answer is close enough. Set up the spreadsheet with additional columns at the right, where you can set up calculations to automatically come up with closer approximations to the correct input value based on your previous calculation. Then Copy - special - values them & paste them to the input cell column to come up w/ the 2nd iteriation. Keep repeating till there is no change.

This is not a macro solution and it may not help for the evaporator iteration problem but rather than special paste the answer into the input cell try this.

Put your starting value in cell A1, put your equation in cell B1 referencing the value in A1. Have A2 equal B1 (type in =B1). Now drag the formula in B1 down to B2. Lastly drag the formulas in A2 and B2 simultaneously down the worksheet until the value in the A column remains the same.

You now have the option of investigating different start values if you suspect there may be different solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back