Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Converting an IGES file

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashDummy11

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2009
US
Hi Everyone,

I have a very large IGES file that I need to convert into SolidEdge. Every time I try to bring it in, it begins the translation and the progress bar comes on but it eventually freezes. Does anyone have any tips for converting it? Would anyone be willing to give it a shot if I send the IGES file to them? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

How long have you waited? SE may appear to be freezing, but give it time. IGES models are surfaces only, and SE converts them to solids. My limited experience has tought me that file translation can be time consuming, and not always successful.

It's possible the import into SE may take up to 15-20 minutes, maybe more.

Out of curiosity, how big is the file, and is it made out of complex surfaces? Is it a part or an assembly?

I'm willing to take a shot at it, but with no guarantee... As I said, I have some experience, but not much. How do you propose to send it? My GMail account can accept 25MB attachments.

It doesn't necessarily convert surfaces to solids... but it will allow you to do so once (if) it translates the file. I've found that IGES files in SE can be an epic waste of time. It simply doesn't handle them well at all.

Are there any 3rd party programs/plugins that can help simplify a file/turn it into a part SE can use more easily? (STL?)

@ ProDarwin

STL? Really? Are you serious? Some time ago out of curiosity, I imported an STL file into SE. I had actually created it with SE for rapid prototyping. Apart from the fact it is made of triangulated surfaces, it is useless, you can't even measure the thing. Unless there's something I didn't understand, which is possible of course. :p

By the way, a 3D application that could be useful is Rhinoceros3D (rhino3d.com). You can download a fully functional demo, only limitation being it will save 25 times. You can open the IGES file with it, then export it in a variety of formats, like STEP, even Parasolid, although the x_t files I created were somewhat bloated compared to native ones, and sometimes would be unreadable in SE.

Worth a shot though.

I've read that many product designers create a shape in Rhino (it has powerful surfacing tools), then export it into SE or Solidworks to complete the model.

Other than that, there are a few existing translation programs, like Transmagic, but they are expensive. I know of no free tool. As for SE plug-ins, SYCODE makes a few, although no IGES one. The plugins are affordable, you can download a 10-day trial.

That's it for the publicity now... :)

1. Ask for the file in Step or even better Parasolid if possible.

2. Leave it running over night just in case the only problem is it's slow.

3. Use a more powerful machine, we have a 64 bit machine with 64GB Ram, quad core... that can open files our regular machines can't.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hi everybody!

I am using SE ST and if I import an IGS file I just have to wait a little longer until it'll be opened, depending on how big is the file, and than I can save it.

My Problem is, that when I am saving it, the parts and assemblies are saved with the same name as the IGS was. Is there a possibility to save right? I mean, before you save an ASM in IGS every PART/ASM has its own name.

Another interesting Problem. When I import a STEP it's going well with the names but it has no color. It just doesn't keeps the colors from ASM.

I don't know if it is a problem from the other Company with which I am working. We have tried many possibilities, and still don't know what is the Problem.

Can somebody help with ideas, or other settings in SE?
Thank you very much!

There are no settings to maintain colour on the STEP export or import options in Solid Edge so I think you are out of luck there.
There is also no option on the file naming when saving after converting a STEP file into Solid Edge.
It makes sense really because if you convert a big assembly file the last thing you would want to do is sit there typing in new names for each pasrt and sub-assembly.
Once converted you can use Revision Manager to rename all your converted files.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thank you beachcomber for your answer.

Unfortunately you're right. :(
The Company with I am working on a Project is using CoCreate Modeling and the only solution to exchange 3D Models is STEP or IGES.
Now we have succeed to save the Models from CoCreate in step but for Solid Works and the colors and the names are OK. But not all of the components are at the right place. This is just not good, because I can't use the 3D Model. It's just a mess.
I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back