Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble downloading programs into older Mazak using Cimnet DNC Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capriracer351

Automotive
Dec 30, 2002
US
The problem started after the PD14A N/C power supply went out in our Mazak Vertical Quality Center model VQC 20/50B, with a Mazatrol Cam M2 control. Before the power supply quit working, we could send the part program to the machine normally from the remote computer, but could not call the program from the remote computer to the machine from the operators station at the machine. Now the machine will not receive a program using either method. I get a 470 tape reader error.

After installing the power supply, I verified normal operation of the machine in all other areas, including doing a test run with the program that was already in the machine. Everything works normally, it just won't download any new programs. There is still plenty of memory left to install several programs, so it isn't a space issue. I also went through the entire parameter list, and did not see any discrepancies between the list, and what was installed in the machine.

What I did run into is that the two small programs that are supposed to be in the program files to serve as a carrier so to speak to allow program downloads were not there. The person that installed this system left the company on bad terms a while back, and took most of his notes, so in a sense I am working in the dark here. I installed what I had in some of my notes, here is what I installed:

For program #1:

0001;
(DL-XXXX);
M30;
%

The XXXX in the second line would be the number of the text program you would want to download into the machine. The DL is for downloading to the machine.

For program #2:

0002;
(UL-XXXX);
M30;
%

This is the program you would use to upload changes that an operator may have to make to a part program from the machine to the host computer.

Does this look to be correct? I was wondering about the semi-colon after the program number, but tried it with, and without it to no avail. Also, the book calls for, and I originally tried labeling it as O0001, this did not work either, and the operator swears there were only zeroes, not any "oh's", just three zeroes and a one.

Anyhow, here are the parameters that are loaded into the remote computer, I could not find a listing of these on paper anywhere:

1. Com port-8
2. Baudrate-2400
3. Parity-Even
4. Data bits-7
5. Stop Bits-1
6. Xon/Xoff-off
7. Xon/Xoff start-off
8. Xon char-ASCII
9. Xoff char-ASCII

These all seemed normal to me. The reason the baud rate is only 2400 is because the system is using RS 232, and there were problems with a higher baud rate, because of the very long cable length (250 feet). The original installer bought the cheapest cable he could find, and it had a very high capacitance per foot (50 pf/ft if memory serves me right) Obviously this is totally incorrect for a run that long, and I have since installed cable that is about 7pf/ft. Even this is marginal for a run this long using RS 232. I couldn't convince the company to go with the expense of converting over to RS-422 though, and like I said it was working fine until recently (the system has been installed for about 4 years). I also checked each connector individually for shorts, or discontinuities, as well as the entire cable overall, it is all good.

If all this appears to be correct to any of you that might have experience with this type of a setup, do you think that there is a possibility that the FX17 board might have a problem? I replaced it with what I think is another good one, but I have no way to positively test it. Also, I believe that FX27 is involved with communications on this machine as well, maybe look there? I have no spares for it.

Have I overlooked something? Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

'85 Mercury Capri
Mild 351 Cleveland powered
6.78 @98 mph 1/8 mile. 1.45 60 ft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We had a similar problem at one point with our SNK. We had to replace a board in the control after lightning hit the substation in our area. (Don't ask which board though).

Regarding the download and upload programs, there should be no hyphen between the DL and the program number for Fanuc controls, which I believe are similar to the Mazak. The program number should match the file name of the program in the computer that you are downloading from, eg. (DL O1234) which is an oh not a zero. Another example would be
(DL A1234) if your file was stored with the name A1234.

We also have a run of around 200 feet of cable. We can download fine but have a lot of garbage uploaded because of interference in the shop.

Good Luck

Tom S.

I have a simular problem on a Dainichi lathe with a Fanuc Series 15 control. We can download programs from our Cimnet Pro to the machine just fine. But when we try to send a program back, All we get is garbage...

Any ideals????

Contac your local mazak service rep and request SERVICE BULLETIN 0989-003 this covers the basic rs232 set up and cable configuration also 250 ft is way to long I would suggest moving the computer closer to the machine and network it to a server if you are worried about file safety

Richard Leu
Cascade engineering and Service
Richard_Leu@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back