Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble getting curves to coincide

Status
Not open for further replies.

v5newto

Automotive
Jun 13, 2006
US
In GSD workbench, I'm trying to do a fill surface of a rectangle made up of slightly wavy splines. Problem is that I have minor gaps because I cannot coincide the end points in sketcher or in 3d space (option not available in constrait definition dialog box). Is there a trick to this or command that can help to solve this problem? I've also ran into a situation of being allowed to coincide the end points, but according to curve connect checker, still have a gap. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
v5newto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm assuming that it's a planar fill that you're doing - otherwise you probably wouldn't be using a sketch.

Best to start off trying to close the end points in the sketch. If you've got two curves that you want to meet at their end points, first fix one of the curves by right clicking on it and then select FIX. This should fix it which will be indicated by a small anchor. Next select the end point of the first curve then hold down CTRL and select the end of the second curve - this will pre-select the two end points. Now select the Constraints defined in dialog box icon and pick coincidence - the end of the second curve should snap to the end of the first.

Alternatively you could also just use the trim command in the sketch and trim the two together.

As for the curve connect checker saying that there's a gap - how are you creating the two curves? More information would help.

Newto - depending on your geometry - you could trim back the curves (in GSD) - make new splines from the endpoints of the recently trimmed curves + points from the trimming element.
How far off is the intersection the curves?

Regards,
Derek

Easiest thing would be to use QSR - Quick Surface Reconstruction workbench and use "Clean Contour" option.

I agree with flangewiper and Derek, you should have no difficulty achieving same results with GSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back