Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMachine

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2011
US
I finally got the swept cut drawn correctly on the edge of this blade. I did it by selecting the very bottom option in the options tab in the swept cut menu box. It then produced the smooth cut all the way to the tip without showing all the lines seperating the different line segments.

Anyway, Now I'm trying to mirror this swept cut to the other side of the blade and I can't get it to do it correctly. It is telling me that I need a surface to use as the plane. The problem is that I don't have a surface that would divide the existing swept cut and the new one I want to add on the other side. I have tried selecting several of the surfaces on the blade as it is now, but all of them place the mirrored surface incorrectly.

I tried sketching a small line on the bottom surface of the blade (similar to where the edge of the knife would be), but it will not select a 2D entity when I try to mirror the feature, only a surface or plane.

The only thing I can think of is to insert a reference plane, but I don't know if this would be correct.

Any hints?

mirror1.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go back to the first feature (Boss-Extrude1) and set the option to Mid-Plane, then you will be able to use the same plane the blade outline was sketched on.

Or you could create a Mid-Plane ref plane, and use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back