Trouble with applying line load in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksbolan

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2023
US
Hey,
I am new to finite element modeling, and I have run into an issue. What I am trying to do is apply a line load along the side of a 3D tower; however, I am getting a message as shown in the attached picture. I have a set created that is along the edge of the tower, but I don't see it when I try to select it in the "region selection" window.
I would appreciate any and all help!

Thank you,
Kaleb

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bd297b32-ced4-4635-bf2b-b010aa45a0ad&file=line_load_trouble.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you could apply kinematic couplings to those lines and assign concentrated forces to their reference points. But loading edges of solid models is usually not recommended and small surfaces or rigid parts used to transfer loads are typically utilized.

Okay, thank you. I believe I may just apply multiple point loads along the side of the structure so mimic a line load. Would this be advisable?

This is also not a perfect way. It’s best to use surfaces, even small ones so that you avoid problematic stress concentrations (and potential stress singularities). But it’s not that you should avoid it at all costs, sometimes it might be the only feasible way. Just think about how the loads are applied in real structure and try to represent this in Abaqus in the most realistic but doable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back