Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble with sketches in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

charland

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2006
SolidWorks 2005, SP 02
I'm creating base sketches in assemblies that I then use to generate a full set of parts from, but for some reason my computer gets really bogged down once my sketch consists of about 10 lines or more. It slows when I'm trying to zoom in or out, rotate or pan and then often it crashes as "an unhandled error". Once I'm out of the sketch things fly without any problems, even with a fairly large assembly. I'm surprised that this application is getting tripped up on 2D stuff when it can handle the 3D without issue. I used to have 1 GB of RAM but then upgraded to no avail.

I'm using a 2.8 GHz Pentium processor, 2 GB RAM, Quattro FX500 video card, windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Charlie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try: faq559-1058 on enabling software openGL. If that improves your performance on the sketces, I would check into the driver for your video card.

Eric

Hi guys,

I have turned the OpenGL toggle on, downloaded and installed the most recent video card driver and I'm still getting a slowed performance. Right now, I've been limiting my sketch sizes and using multiple sketches in place of one large one and that keeps things manageable. The video card is three years old as is the rest of the computer. Should I turn my graphics accelerator to none (to be honest I'm not sure what this application does)?

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back