Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting Strip Overlay (SAW) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

muld0020

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2010
US

We have a new set-up to our SAW machine for strip with a refurbished nozzle. We have not used strip before and we are having trouble getting the arc to start using constant voltage (CV) setting (the strip feeds through the nozzle very quickly but does not start an arc). We are using 0.5mm x 60mm strip (Stainless to Carbon Steel). We are able to get an arc with constant amperage (CA) settings on the SAW machine, however, the weld is not of the quality we would expect/want. It seems to be an inconsistent bead that is slightly concave with some little porosity. The strip/flux vendor has set parameters that the say to hold if at all possible which was our starting point and those parameters were devloped using CV. We are also talking to our SAW machine vendor to try to work it out if it's an electrical problem. I'm just looking for outside experiance to help me evaluate what they may come up with.

As I understand it, I think the CV should be preferred since the feedrate is adjusted to compensate for slight changes in voltage across the arc to keep the voltage constant. I would think it would help with our bead profile.

My question is if anyone knows if strip should be run using CV or CA and what the reason is for either case? What are possible reasons be for the arc not starting with CV?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You say the strip feeds very quickly.
This problem can also happen with SAW (wire) when the starting feed rate is too fast.
If adjustable on youe equipment, turn the "Run In Speed" to a lower speed.
A slow run in speed is to help the arc initiate before switching over to actual welding amperage.
You may also need to increase/adjust the open circut voltage.

Not sure if you already do this, but we cut the end of our strip with a 30 degree angle across the width. That way the arc is established gradually across the width instead of trying to arc the entire 60mm width.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back