Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truck Factor Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFGeoCivil

Geotechnical
May 10, 2012
US
Hi, I'm designing a flexible pavement access roadway for a landfill. I have reasonable traffic information in the way of trucks and weights and want to calculate truck factors (i.e. ESAL's) for each of several representative truck types. The worst loads should be from the residential packer trucks that have two axles. I can get typical loaded weights and estimate axle loads, but in estimating the ESAL"s, I can only find ESAL information for dual wheels, single axle and dual wheels, tandem axle. Is there an equivalent for single wheel, single axle? I've found examples that treat single axle, single wheel and single axle, dual wheel the same, but that cannot be correct, as the same load on a single axle, single wheel would have to be higher I would expect. Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Intuitively, I agree with you, but the research I've seen relates pavement damage to axle loading, not wheel loading. That's probably why they treat single wheels and dual wheels the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back