Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trumpf Focusing Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

precisiontech

Electrical
Sep 16, 2010
US
I had a few question about aftermarket cutting head focusing lens. The 2 in question is Ophir and II-VI. We have multiple CO2 laser ranging from 3kw-5kw. Both companies offer standard, low absorption and black coated low absorption. Some of my questions are:

Has anyone experienced/use these lenses? If so, a big difference between quality of companies?

I have heard the Black coated low absorption do not work in Trumpf lasers, but no one could tell me why.

Is there a real noticeable difference between the standard, low absorption and black coated low absorption.

Is this worth the savings, or should we just stick with the OEM Trumpf lens.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The black coated lens didn't seem to give any improvements in cut quality and speed. And it stops the HeNe laser (red laser), so that is a little inconvenient. Not sure about lifetime. The II-VI low absorption seems to have a longer life on high power laser (5, 6kW).

We have tried various vendors but Ophir and IIVI are the ones you need to go with.
we use the black magic lens on our trumpf lasers and they have lasted longer than the standard lens.they are a bit cheaper in price than the II-VI MP5 and ophir's clear magic.
you will not see a difference between the black and the standard if you have a low power laser.
We have used the MP5 in the past and we were happy but the black has been more cost effictive and with same results. OEMs always charge high for their lens.
Some Trumpfs have the HeNe beam so they wont be able to see the beam with the black lens thats why people dont use them.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back