Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trumpf L3030 4kw

Status
Not open for further replies.

AStanley

Industrial
Feb 9, 2012
US
Hello
We recently purchased/installed a trumpf L3030 4kw laser and are now running parts(Mild Steel up to 3/4" and compared to our other laser, this think sucks the nitrogen. We are going through nitrogen banks every 24-36 hours and we are only using it as a purge gas(not for the resonator) and are cutting with O2. We seem to have satisfactory results with shop air for 3/8 and smaller but we will primarily be using this machine for 1/2 and up. My question is; is this normal? If so, I guess I will be investing in a bulk nitrogen tank and compressor. We have a top shelf maintenance department and they cant seem to find any leaks.

Any help would be appreciated!

Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience is purging the beam path with N2 is OK if you have a bulk tank. Anything else is a nuisance. On some machines you can use filtered air and/or reduce the N2 flow. Be careful, there are some machines out there that need a lot of purge air to keep the bellows from collapsing.

An oil free dedicated compressor with it's intake strategically positioned in a cool dry area works good. An oily old compressor feeding a number of machines with oilers and whatnot that has it's intake where it can pick up fumes from the paint booth is not going to cut it.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

We cant seem to get the quality we need on the thicker stuff so bulk really looks to be my only solution. Thanks for the input!

heh, I guess that's the simple answer. 4kw and N2 assist.... yeah, you need bulk. I've seen people use enough N2 in a small shop to significantly lower the O2 in the air they're breathing. They were purging the room of O2! Makes the operators more dopey....

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

We have two 4000w lasers, on ssteel the operating preassure is between 10-14 bar with nosslediameter of 2.5mm, it sucks the gas out of the whole universe,so we decided to buy a nitrogengenerator with 14 bottles storage capacity,it`s not enough to feed them but the price of the gas is moore then half,i am from sweden anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back