Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk water mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCid

Civil/Environmental
Nov 17, 2009
US
I have seen conflicting specifications regarding whether shop drawings or laying schedules follow the approved geometry drawings of trunk water mains. Any thoughts on this?

why would you approve them if they didn't? Contractor had better have a good reason for changing your alignment and the engineer had better agree on it. Otherwise, might as well let the contractor design the waterline.

I confess to be at a loss with your answer. The question is, and I apologize if it was not clearly understood, after the geometry, what comes next? the laying schedule or the shop drawings. I've read specs. that indicated that the laying schedule follows the geometry, then shop drawings come next; other specs. indicate otherwise, shop drawings after the geometry then the laying schedule.

All of the pipelines we have done have had the laying schedule included as part of the shop drawings.

The contract drawings hold. He agreed to the installation as shown on the plans and specs.

I'd reject their submittals that suggest otherwise.

If they are modifying the alignment. If they are, a change order should be processed. Less pipe=less $$$$$.

Agreee with coloeng.

SUBMITTALS
Submittals shall be made by the Contractor in accordance with the procedures set forth in Section 105 and as described below:
A. Provide a construction schedule for approval that includes the sequence of installation of casings, pipelines and manholes. Provide a laying schedule (on the Drawings) that show necessary deviations from the Drawings due to specific utility conflicts discovered during required exploratory excavations.
B. Submit each manufacturer’s and/or supplier’s certification(s) attesting that the pipe, gaskets, manholes, castings, and appurtenances meet or exceed the specified requirement.

I also agree with coloeng. But if an approval order is to follow: geometry; shop drawings; laying schedule, sounds practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back