Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truss/Joist Analysis Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
Hey all,

I'm hopeful, but not expectant of there being any free options for this. I need a program that you can draw in a joist, and it will give you the force diagrams that you can export to an excel sheet or something. At the moment I have been using RISA for it, however their results spreadsheets only give up to 20 data points, but their graphs over a hundred to make the graph. As far as I can tell, you can't export the values used to plot the graph, so I come to you folks for a recommendation.

The program doesn't need to do any code checks or design, just evaluate the joist.

Here's hoping,

-D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interpolate the 20 points out of risa? Not familiar with any free option that will output fine grained SFD,BMD, AFD diagrams.

Could dust off the old Matrix Structural Analysis book and code it up yourself :"D

neat tool phamrENG thanks for sharing. In grad school my roomate made one for a 2d planar truss in mathcad. Varibale loading and panel points, I still dont fully understand how he did that all in Mcad lol.

If all you want is simple multi-span beam analysis then I have this tool that will give you the charts as well as the full piecewise functions for shear, moment, slope, and deflection. Link

driftLimiter said:
Interpolate the 20 points out of risa? Not familiar with any free option that will output fine grained SFD,BMD, AFD diagrams.
I could interpolate the compression diagram as it's linear, but the moment diagram between panel points under a UDL or point load is non-linear and not even in a uniform way, so interpolation would be impossible.

The problem with RISA is that sometimes the values in the chart, for a sufficiently long span, end up completely skipping the loading over a panel point span, since it only breaks it up into a max of 20 slices.

phamENG said:
Download SMath, get the beam plugin, and build a sheet. A tad laborious, but can yield decent results.

What coding language would this be most similar to (assuming it is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back