Truss Multi-members connection at column support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.IDR

Structural
Dec 31, 2020
PK
Hello Engineers,
Have you ever design a connection of multi steel members connected as shown in the figure.

Well the problem is not to make the calculations but how to make calculations quickly?

What kind of calculation pattern/method would you like to follow to submitt calculation report in case client ask for it?

and any tool to prepare fabrication drawings easily?

CONNECTION_PICTURE-ALL_VIEWS_ezqxtx.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

no figure attached, though we prefer if you embed the figure in your post (so we can see it). thx !

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

You could use RAM Connections to design most of the connections. You could group them together depending on what plane they are in. You will have to pay careful attention to load path between all of the elements though and make sure that the connection geometries don't interfere.

Spreadsheets could also be used but they take time to develop.

If you aren't familiar with it already, look into AISC DG 29 and DG 24.

This seems like a pretty big task, assuming you are designing all of the connections for this structure. Connections of this nature can get complex, especially as you have different member types (HSS, L, 2L).

Could you extend the HSS column up to the top elevation and create a gusset plate "node" at the location where the bracing members come together? Something like this, where the HSS is broken, the gusset is welded, then the HSS quarters are re-attached:

Node_Idea_brqatk.jpg

For calc presentations, maybe provide a tidy Excel or Mathcad sheet w/ all relevant limit state checks. If you're submitting in 2D format (Autocad or sim), you could always type the calcs out right on the sketch page.
Consult a detailing company for the shop drawing production.

I had something on my mind, shown in the sketch below,

1. I don't think RAM Connection can handle this type of complex arrangment of different members connection
@HDStructural said:
you could use RAM Connections to design most of the connections.

2. I don't think of it as that much complex, however i was more concerned with presenting to client in case he ask for calculation report, wondering if there is any software which could handle such connections.
@HDStructural said:
This seems like a pretty big task, assuming you are designing all of the connections for this structure. Connections of this nature can get complex, especially as you have different member types (HSS, L, 2L).

I really appreciated your effort, but I would not want to break the contiuity of the Truss core because of my own interpretation and planning of how these members could be arranged refer to the sketch below
DrZoidberWoop said:
Could you extend the HSS column up to the top elevation and create a gusset plate "node"

Column_Connection_nvaca1.jpg

Time is far more precious than you can imagine.

Ideastatica is a software you are looking for which can do these kinds of connections - license cost is expensive though. Ram connections would allow for the design of combined gusset plates. If you have a generic FEA software available you could also look at doing it as a plate model.

icebloom said:
Have you tried IdeaStatica For Such complex connection, because it is quiet difficult to model such type of connection in IdeaStatica when there angle member used, its orientattion, offsets and all that..
I do think in ideaStatica I could model it.

Time is far more precious than you can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back