Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truss Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgc

Electrical
Dec 9, 2002
US

I have a conventional 2" x 4" wood truss on 16" center, 24' wide span no load bearing walls and building length 44'.
I have built a 12'wide x 40'long addition to the east side of the house and have a 2" x 4" right triangle type truss on 16" center that is the same height as the peak of the main house truss. This right angle truss is resting on a new exterior wall and on the east wall of the existing house. I want to build a centr section that that would rest on the new truss peak and the peak of the house. This center section would be 12' wide, have 4'high walls and a 9/12 pitch truss on top of the 4' walls. This would then be covered with 7/16" decking and shingles. If I added tradition barn door style doors on each end this would yield a southern barn (not gambril but peaked) style look to the house. This also would shift the appearance of the center of the house 12' east. The whole house would then be 36' wide. I hope you can visualize this.
The question is can the original 24'wide house truss support the weight of the center section that I want to add on? The weight from the new center section would be applied directly to the peak of the house and the peak of the new addition truss. So I would think that the original roof peak would have to support half the total weight of the new center section.
Can this be done?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
SGC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're installing the valley set over existing roof sheathing. The dead load probably will exceed your allowable design loads. This may cause excessive deflection, cracking the ceiling and popping nails or even truss failure. The existing trusses can be "beefed up" be adding 2x4 members. You may have to cut away a portion of the decking to ventilate the old area and provide airflow through the new roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back