Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Blank Or Lock Sketch Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEBow

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2007
US
I would like to either blank or lock dimensions in a sketch.

I can blank a dimension in a sketch, but when I close the sketch and open it again, the dimension unblanks.

I have seen that in some areas like die design you seem to be able to lock dimensions. Is there a way to lock the dimensions of a sketch?

Thank you for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know you can't lock the dimensions unless the file is made read only and then no permanent changes can be made. To blank the dimensions so they do not show up while in sketch mode go to preferences - sketch and check the box retain dimensions and then finish your sketch. once your back in modeling use the blank command filtering for dimensions and select the ones you want blanked then save the file.

Bob Smith
Changes Consulting

Thank you for your reply.

It didn't work for me so I'll say what I did to make sure I've done everything correctly.

While in my sketch I went to preferences -> sketch and then checked the "retain dimensions box"

I then finished the sketch. While in modeling mode I went to Edit -> blank -> blank and then selected "class selection" I clicked on "type" and then I selected dimension as the type. I then selected the dimensions that I wanted to be blanked and blanked them.

The funny thing is that the dimensions I blanked stay blanked when I'm in modeling, but then unblank whenever I open the sketch.

I'm running NX 4.0.2.2

I'm not completely sure this will work, but you might be able to move the sketch dimensions to a different layer than the model and sketch geometry and then turn the sketch dimensions layer off and on when needed.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back