Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Build a Pneumatic Conductance Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinGuy

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2012
US
Hi,

I'm trying to build a Pneumatic Conductance Tester using ISO 6538, and I was wondering if anyone alse has done the same and what their experience might be. I have purchased an expensive mass flow meter from Sierra to use in this system, and now I'm working on figuring out the tubing, connections, and eventual packaging of this rig into something like a Pelican case.

Any input out there on what the best methods are?

Thanks,

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to achieve? Measure Cv/Kv? What is the contraption meant to do? What range, flow and time units? Accuracy? Air supply 'unlimited' at 'constant, pressure? Requirements from ISO 6538?

Hi gerhardl and thanks for replying.

I'm trying to measure Cv per ISO 6538. I would like to input the measured Cv for different components into Automation Studio P6 from Famic Technologies to do some modeling of my pneumatic system.

I have purchased a flow meter from Sierra Technologies (M100) to plumb into a test circuit to measure the Cv. It has 3/8" FIP fittings on either end. The flows I will be dealing with are 0-150 lpm. The pressure is 0-10 psi. I will be measuring valves, couplers, elbows, and whatever else is in the circuit. My valves will have Cv's that range from 0.15 to 1.3. They are poppet style valves. Most of the system I will be modeling will be plumbed using silicone tubing, plastic fittings, and aluminum valve manifolds. Pressure for testing will be shop air provided with a precision regulator if necessary. Pressure for the system being modeled will be provided via small linear compressor.

I've seen the test circuits in the ISO standard. I'd like to set up this flow meter in a special test circuit, preferably mounted into a case of some sort to protect it as a test instrument. I'm looking to machine up the tubes for the test circuit to make sure they're to the standard if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back