Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to find an copy of EDSA power analysis software - any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdn2004

Electrical
Jan 27, 2007
US
We think this company went out of business. But we are trying to convert some old files that were done in this software 20 years ago or so. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easy power is interested in supporting paladin / EDSA customers.
We have been advised that Easy Power will continue to support the Power Analytics line due to it having use cases that can not be met currently with easy power.

I think that to make a 20 year old EDSA file set usable today to either the current version of Power Analytics Paladin DesignBase, / or something else would need help from Technical Support. Contact information is here
EDSA and Paladin DesignBase do not have good export tools build in, and the internal database is locked up (some sort of Access Database I think). I tried once opening a Paladin DesignBase file with Safe Software FME, found I could not open it, and talked to Power Analytics about it - probably 10 years ago. At that time Power Analytics was uninterested in supporting third party export / import.

Thanks guys.. Yes we've contacted EasyPower, not heard back yet. We have the electronic files. Apparently that was a very file intensive program. All these programs are database driven. And that's the way they used to do the databases: link a bunch of individual data files together with index files and an overall program - I think. It brings back memories of dBase that got put out of business by Access - that made it all one big file with an overall interactive program.

Access does the same thing, but it puts all of it's components into a wrapper, so you do not see the individual data tables. I have never seen the earlier versions of EDSA. The Power Analytics Paladin DesignBase product saves to a single file.

What I was attempting, was to extract information to load into a GIS system. FME usually is a vary good tool for this, but not with locked databases. We wound up getting the data we wanted from other sources.

As a wrap up here.....yes EasyPower will convert it for us. But it's not free and it is T&M. The nerve of these people....j/k.

This is indeed a rather ugly tail which started off with Power Analytics closing up shop, and leaving it's customers with no support until Easy Power purchased their assets.

We consider the ability to get fee for service support, a good thing, as the alternative is rebuilding our existing models in something else the hard way. Paladin / EDSA was by design not intended to allow easy export of the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back