Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to make a more smooth piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

azizmars

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2013
US
Hey guys, so I am a working on a helmet and need to add to it an ear cup (I guess its called that). But I cant seem to figure out how to pull it off. I linked some pictures below, as you can see it is more robotic looking and not naturally flowing. So if anyone has a way to do that please let me know. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks guys.
Pictures 1 & 2 are how the design looks and picture 3 is what I want it to look like. I want it to basically start sloping up slowly but gradually by the ear part then come down at the top. I hope i explained that well. I also uploaded the part file if you would like to check it out for yourself or see how I did anything. Thanks once again guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can try the Indent feature, or maybe the Deform feature. Have you tried using surfaces to get your desired look?

I cannot get your file, because its asking for me to create an account. Can you post the file on something like that when you share the folder, those connecting don't have to login?

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help.

SBaugh - if you click slow download it let you download it for free without registering.
I will also look into those features thanks for the suggestions.

Eltron - I tried to do the surface fill but I cant seem to get the fill on the curved surface. Like when I do it I get a floating part. I'm trying everything possible to make it merge together.

If you're having trouble with the surface fill, perhaps roll back your model tree to before you thicken the surface, and do a trim / fill operation there.
you can trim the surface to whatever opening suits your fancy, I shot for something vaguely ear shaped, and add a 3d sketched spline as a constraint so you can go back and tweak the curvature of the fill to your liking. Then just knit and thicken the model as you already had.

Yeah I ended up figuring out how to do the fill feature on the helmet, but it didn't look as great as I would have hoped. I want to make it look like in the pictures here. I used the deform feature but I cant seem to do them on these surface things. Anyone know how to do it?

I really want to thank you guys also for all the help. This is my first post and I must admit you guys are great people in a great community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back