Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to mate to a sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARamsay

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Hi,
Im trying to simulate the movement of a tapping head following a 3D sweep that ive drawn of a coil to see if there is any interference between the tapping head and the coil as it curves around the coil.

Im having trouble finding a good way to mate the two parts in order for me to drag the head along the coil and see how it interacts with the coil.

Id appreciate any help,
Thanks, Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may get random results doing this, but it might work.

Show your sweep guide curve or copy it so you can see it. Create a point in a sketch within your tapping head part. (I'm not sure what direction your carving out material, so you'll need to make your sketch point where the point of contact of your tapping head will be according to your guide curve of your coil.) Mate the sketch point of the tapping head to the guide curve of your coil to constrain it to follow the curve. You'll also need to constrain your tapping head with at least one other mate--to keep the head vertical, or whatever you need--and that should do it.

The placement of your point in the tapping head sketch will be important.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Thanks for replying to my question.

I tried what you said but I cant seem to mate the point sketched inside my tapping head to any curved part of the guide curve of the coil.

Any thoughts?

Is your guide curve a spline? Remember, you need to mate the point to the curve, not a curved surface. (Although you should be able to mate the point coincident with the surface, but I don't think that will give you what you need.)

If you can CTRL-select the point and the guide curve, you should be able to make a coincident mate.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

My guide curve is not a spline, its a series of 3D points all joined by lines and fillets.

When I try to mate the point with one of the curved sections, I get a message saying that I am unable to mate this selection with my point. It wont let me select the curve. However it will let me mate with any straight line on the cuve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back