Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmalley74

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2013
US
thread732-316990

Hello,

Long story short, I graduated Penn State in 1997 and became a maintenance engineer at a chemical plant. I was there for 6 years when the plant shut down. I decided that I wanted to pursue a music career while I could, instead of trying to find another job, so I moved to NYC and became a semi-professional musician. It was a great ride and now reality has set in. I'm close to 40 years old and I've been sending out my resume (professionally written, along with a professional cover letter catered to each employer) like they were candy. I've only had 2 interviews as a result, so far. I've enlisted in "refresher courses" online, which I've greatly enjoyed, in hopes to show employers that I'm serious about this endeavor. Can anyone suggest other things I should be doing? Groups I should join? Who should I be networking with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I've referenced a previous thread because I would like to know if @nerv1 had any luck getting a job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In terms of useful approaches, Dick Bolles' book "What Color is Your Parachute" is quite useful, and highlights a number of methods that can also be used to get you over the line.

It gets updated every year, I'd had the 2003 version and used it for a while when I graduated. I've since purchased the 2013 version, and a lot has changed, particularly with prominence of such things as Linkedin.

Figure out what you want to do as an ME. Do you want to do product design, HVAC, back to a maintenance engineer, etc? I would figure that out and then go volunteer some hours every week at a company that does what you would like to do. Having some recent experience might get your foot in the door, maybe even at the place where you are volunteering?

A few ideas:
Study for and take the FE exam. This has helped me.
Determine a 'get in the door' skill related to what you want to do, and learn it. In 2007, my position was different a little different from yours, I was back in the field, but I knew my contract job would eventually run out. I learned solidworks at home out of books with a personal use copy of SWX.
Schmooze, schmooze, schmooze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back