Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trying to transition from Mechanical Program Manager to hand-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manpreet Singh

Automotive
May 8, 2024
CA
First of all, I want to mention that this is an excellent community. Even as a newbie, I have been amazed by the support everyone provides on this platform.

A bit of background: I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have been working as a Program Manager in the automotive industry in Canada for the past four years. My role primarily involves APQP and timeline management. However, I find it unfulfilling and am tired of creating timelines and managing others without doing anything technical myself, aside from occasionally reviewing GD&T on prints. I enjoy working with new equipment, and whenever I have the chance, I experiment with 3D scanners and other testing tools.

I'm eager to transition into a more hands-on role, as I love getting my hands dirty with technical work. However, I'm unsure if anyone would hire me for an apprenticeship given my current experience. I’m looking for advice on how to transition to a more hands-on role where I won't be bored, and would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar experiences.

Regarding my current situation: I earn $75,000 annually but still need to do odd jobs on weekends to support my family. If I make a transition, will I find something better in terms of pay? I don't see a future for myself in program management.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are there any different jobs in your current company that would be interesting for you? Often transferring internally is easier than locating a job at a new company.

You are still early in your career, so getting an entry level engineering position at another company in a more technical role should not be too difficult. Have you looked for other local job opportunities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back