Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tube dynamic dent/crush equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmblur

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2008
US
I'm working with structural metal tubing (of an elongated octagonal cross section (height is about 17% taller than width) that's subject to high enough radial impacts (generally with another tube of similar size and strength) to cause both denting (generally on the edges), usually only small dents but occasionally enough to cause actual bending of the tubing. The tubes are basically cantilevered, with negligible axial load and usually low bending loads (which can be neglected in most cases).

We're looking at a good way to compare these materials for dent resistance under these high-dynamic loads (generally high speed/low mass impacts), without having to go through tooling and sampling.

Is there an equation (even for cylindrical tubing) that approximates resistance to this kind of dynamic denting? I've found plenty on panel denting, and axial crushing, but nothing so far on radial denting. I'm aware that it has relations to hardness, yield strength, and wall thickness, but can't find the relation and don't have the equipment to do the testing to derive it.

We're also looking at fibrous composites, but I'm not even going to try to derive that one - just a weeeee bit nonlinear!

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition - does anyone have any good books to recommend for this type of info, especially given various cross sections and strain rates?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back