Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tube feature single or multiple segments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudvdBrand

Computer
Aug 6, 2012
NL
Hello all,

I have a question about the Tube feature. In the settings of this feature you have the option single or multiple segments.
I see the visual difference between the two options is the number of faces. But is there also some difference in the back ground or what is the advantage of use single or multiple segment.
Some times when I created a tube with multiple segments I get a problem in drafting that NX can't make the updates of the view (mostly of an assembly where the tube is in assembled)

So there is in my opinion not only something happening in the number of faces but also something more.

how can help me with this?

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Multiple segments seems to be more stable and more accurate. By accurate I mean that there are times when I create a single segment tube at .125 diameter a .0625 radius cannot be applied to the ends, but a .062 radius will work. I'm guessing that this is due to NX applying a tolerance to the tube surface.

In regards to stability, I have a coil spring modeled as a deformable part in which the tube feature sometimes (not always) fails when using a single segment tube.

When using the multi segment option NX will create a number of Torus faces / Cylinders along the path. A torus is a mathematically analytical shape, i.e there is no need to have / use a tolerance on the face itself, instead the modeling tolerance is used between the path and the torus centerline. ( Since the centerline of a torus is a circle and nothing else.)

Using the single Segment option NX will create a single face B-surface . A B-surface uses the modeling distance tolerance. The resulting face will be within the modeling distance tolerance and not exact, thereby the problem with the blend.

regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back