Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tubesheet calculation when NTIW is used (ASME interpretation) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrino7

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
ES
The general conditions of applicability for tubesheets of ASME Section VIII UHX-10(a) require the tubesheet be uniformly perforated over a nominally circular area.
The definition regarding "nominally circular area" has been a contentious issue on most shell and tube heat exchangers, as very few shell-and-tube layouts can be deemed to be "uniformly perforated over a nominally circular area".

Referring to ASME Interpretation VIII-1-04-61
Question: Do tubesheets for shell-and-tube heat exchangers having a no-tubes-in-window (NTIW) baffle design fall within the scope of Section VIII, Division 1 Part UHX?
Reply: No; see UHX-10(a) and U-2(g).

Since Part UHX provides no guidance for the design of tubesheets of an NTIW configuration - what is the accepted design basis used by COMPRESS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shell & Tube (and specifically tubesheets) seems to be the red-headed stepchild of most (if not all) commercially developed mechanical design software packages.

U-2(g) is the way to go here. Talk with your AI - he may accept designing the tubesheet(s) in accordance with TEMA, or require you to do FEA.

ASME had a tough time of it when they were initially developing their rules for the design of tubesheets: kept telling fabricators to use TEMA when the results were unreasonable. The TEMA calculations have been consistent, and reliable.

Using the TEMA method would be my first alternative if I couldn't perform the calcs and get a reasonable output using the ASME method(s).

-TJ Orlowski

I have a question. In the baffle detail section of the heat exchanger module, where it says "Each Baffle supports every tube", could this refer to NTIW baffle design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back