Tubing pressure reducing regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirschaplin

Petroleum
Jul 10, 2021
SE
Hello,

I need to blanket the oil covers on a compressor with nitrogen. The nitrogen is delivered to the skid in a 1" pipe at a pressure of 6 barg. The pressure shall be reduced to 1,4 barg. My intention is to put a piping to tubing adapter and continue with tubing lines within the skid.

My concern is that I expect basically NO flow since the only consumption point is the compressor shaft seal which has a rated leakage of 1*10^-4 cc/sec, meaning basically 0 liter/hour.

Will a simple pressure reducing regulator from the Swagelok K series work when there is no flow? Meaning, will the regulator maintain a constant pressure on the low side when basically no nitrogen is being consumed?

For example, I am thinking that it would not work with an orifice since the NO flow would settled out the pressure to be same on both sides of the orifice?

I believe the regulator will do the job but looking forward to some feedback or alternative solutions.

Here is a PDF with some more details of the regulator in mind

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, any forward reducing type pressure regulator that has a bubble tight seat and non-venting sensing mechanism should work fine.
You'll want to choose a diaphragm sensed regulator with as small a Cv as possible for this application to ensure maximum sensitivity and tight control of the outlet set pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back