Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tubular frame joints in Pro E

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteCod

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2015
US
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to model a tubular frame in Pro E wildfire 3.0. The frame a rectangular prism, and I am trying to model one of the corners consisting of 3 tubes welded together at 90*. I do NOT need to include the actual weld, but rather just the overall shape and geometry of the corner. I have read that most people would create a trajectory using datum curves or a sketch, and then sweep a protrusion to create the actual tubes. Using this method, I can only get 2 of the 3 tubes to form, and they are connected by a bend, rather than a right angle "weld". Another technique that I tried is simply creating 3 separate protrusions along the 3 separate curves. This gives a corner piece that has an unfinished outer corner, and I believe is not the ideal way to model a frame. I am not really sure what to try from here, so any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you wanting the three tubular pieces to meet with a sharp outside point (i.e. all three tubes are mitered so that when joined, no bores are visible)? Or are you butting two tubes against the third?

I apologize for not responding soon. That project got pushed back and I kind of forgot to come back here. Yes, I am trying to join 3 tubes to a sharp point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back