Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turbidity Barriers/Silt Curtains/Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakin

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2001
BS
I know that turbidity barriers/silt curtains are not appropriate for locations where water velocities are 0.5m/s and conditions are not calm. Is there any proof of their effectiveness? I understand that even when these conditions prevail they are of limited use. What are the alternatives when velocities are high and waters are not calm?

Kind regards,
Michelle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use is planned for numerous projects in the Bahamas where on infrastructure rehabilitation projects following hurricane Floyd - mainly dock, marina, seawall, revetment construction. Dredging of sand bed is required at a number of nearshore locations. I am now thinking it would be best for the country to invest in a visor grab or similar.

Do those dredging often require certification? I would appreciate any further thoughts.

Kind regards,
Michelle

Michelle,

You may like to look at steel sheet piling driven around the work area as temporary containment structures depending on the depths and density of the bottom material you will be working in. Also the piling can be pulled and reused over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back