Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turbine Design for fire-hose driven shaft. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayfulk

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2019
US
I am working on a design for a water powered drive shaft. The water source would be from a 2.5 inch diameter hose, at approx 75-100 psi. The goal would be to get 55-115 RPM from the shaft and max torque in the smallest possible handheld device. That being said, it seems my best options for driving such a shaft would be a turbine of one of three designs: crossflow vs turgo vs pelton or other... What do you think is the best drive to get these results? A pressure of at least 344 kilopascals (kPa) (75 pounds per square inch (psi)), and a flow rate of at least 300 liters per minute (lpm) (80 gallons per minute (gpm)); So we are talking about .3m^3/m @ about 75 psi. So approx 0.005 m^3/s

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a very good paper presented at the International Pump Users Symposium about using a centrifugal pump as a hydraulic turbine. This paper was focused on using these hydraulic turbines for power generation in rural India. I would search the proceedings of the syposium at the Texas A&M Turbomachinery Laboratory site. It was presented several years ago.

Johnny Pellin

PAT (pump as turbine). So, basically here is where the Physics comes in....

That pressure/flow, 75psi min and 80 gpm min is what is available at the hose/inlet to PAT. What I need out of the PAT is approx 336 in-lb torque or 40 Nm @ 55-115 RPM.... can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back