Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turbine Meter without Flow Straightener 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmanuelTop

Chemical
Sep 28, 2006
RS
In AFC drawings we spotted a turbine flow meter without flow straightener upstream. Straight piping run upstream of the meter is 10D, downstream of the meter is 5D.

The fluid measured is wet Natural gas, almost pure Methane, water-saturated, at 15 barg and 50 degC.

I'm afraid it is too late for any design changes and installation of a straightening vanes, so my question is how bad the measurement accuracy will be affected in absence of the vanes? Measurement is quite important and it will serve as one of the key parameters for acceptance of the compressor (discharge flow). Contractual tolerance is +/- 5% on flow.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The amount of straight run is a function of what is happening prior to the run. If you have a couple of elbows then you have trouble. You’ll get swirl which is a flow vector that is not orthogonal to the pipe axis. This will reduce your accuracy. API MPMS 5.3 allows 5D upstream for a standard system with straighteners but that jumps out to 15 to 50D depending on the upstream conditions when you don’t have them. Though intended for orifices, ISO TR 12767 can give you some insights on how much you’ll gain in uncertainty for non-ideal installations. But at 5% doesn't look too impossible since turbine meter installations target 0.5% or better full scale accuracy.

If was my money I’d go for a Zanker plate or a proprietary design that completely breakup the existing flow field and allow it to reform. Traditional tube bundles have been found not to do a good job with swirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back