Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turbine Repair 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

henderrj

Specifier/Regulator
Oct 13, 2015
US
I just applied for a new job with a company that performs various repairs to turbines. I'm from the Pressure Vessel/Boiler industry, and some things the interviewers said left me a little worried about their operation. They reacted very defensively any time adherence to standards/procedures came up, and basically said they wanted someone who would apply common sense. That's all well and good, assuming there is no governing standard for what they're doing.

Seeing as how boilers and power plant piping have governing standards, I would assume that turbine repairs would, as well. Wouldn't plants have a hard time getting insurance if their turbines weren't repaired in accordance with some standard?

Any information about whether there is a standard or not and, if so, what that standard is, would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can see coming from boiler side, the turbine side will seem like the wild wild west assuming you are reffering to welding related repairs

I am asking this just to indicate the difference (as I have worked both) is the new job with a manufacture OR with one of the many non OEM turbine repair companies.

I found the only "procedures" were from the OEM, properiatry and not readily shared with the owner.

SlideRuleEra said:
All work was performed the way GE specified, and what they required was typically more exacting than any governing standard.

GE didn't promote the idea of Six-Sigma quality just because it looked good in their company profile.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I'm not with GE, but our company does things the same way. Turbine repair (welding, machining, new parts, disassembly, movement (crane lifts and equipment) and EVERY step of the repair and re-assembly process are ALL under specific and rigorous procedural compliance.

But.

The national boiler and national pipe and national welding standards are NOT applicable.

The turbine is not considered a pressure vessel because one its at boiler-pipe-reheater pressure but the other end is at a vacuum with "nothing" in between; and it is not considered by the national boards for pipe nor for moving machinery either. So we have our own welding standards, our own rigging standards and procedures, our own torque procedures, our own certification for welders, our own training for machinists, our own machining documents, our own engineering standards for metals and alloys and glues and ....

Thank you all for your replies!

From what you're all saying, it sounds like there is no true governing standard for turbine repair work (weld repairs to casings, weld repairs to rotors/blades, replacing blades, etc.), only voluntary, company policy type standards.

I do find that strange, coming from a boiler/pressure vessel point of view (especially because they'll be used at power plants, due to insurance concerns), but I guess they wouldn't have a standard for everything.

The company I interviewed with did mention that they did all their welding in accordance with ASME Section IX, and that they did have intercompany policies/procedures, but that they were having issues with their own policies being too strict, and were in the process of getting rid of them (to effectively shoot from the hip in the future, I suppose). I personally feel like revising those policies/procedures to better accommodate how they actually wish to operate would be much more beneficial in a professional sense, but if there is no governing standard on their work, then there is nothing requiring them to do so.

Y'all have taken a lot of weight off my shoulders. Again, thanks for your time!

GE, AC and original Westinghouse OEM's developed in-house welding and repair requirements based on experience and in-house knowledge. I had spent many a day auditing these vendors and they are by no means deficient in terms of welding or material expertise. Non-OEM turbine repair shops is a different story. Some however developed on their own or from ex-turbine OEM employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back