Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbine trip during run-up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundelash

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2002
NL
Gents,

We are currently running up a gas turbine that came down on load - about 2.8MW, but it has refused to start. The last time it got to about 50% speed and tripped on high temperature. The control was confirmed ok, but could not decipher what could be wrong. Someone suggested compression leakages but we are not too sure. Does anyone have suggestions on what could be wrong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are the temperature measurements made, ie. compressor exit, combustor exit, hp turbine exit?
Isn't there a detailed course of action recommended by the manufacturer of the engine?

what was the reason that the turbine shut down for when at 2.8 MW. That's an improtatnt first step in finding the solution to your problem.

TurboTec

Before you start tearing the engine apart, take a good look at your relief valve operation, fuel valve scheduling,
blockage at the inlet (collapsed filter elements, etc.).
If all is OK, suggest a borescope inspection of the compressor and hot gas path sections.

TurboTec

Are you running at low load and 50% speed at the same time?

50% speed is often the lower limit on speed allowed on the PT (power turbine) before you got an automatic shutdown of the turbine to avoid approaching critical speeds. You should check what your setpoints are in the control system.

Which turbine is it, and what really triggered the shutdown.

Hi,

I think you want to tell us that the turbine doesn't exceed 50% speed. In this case, the main reason is that the turbine blades were "burned" because of the high temperature (very probably the protection system at high temperature limit doesn't work well). That means the top edges of thie blades are dameged and this will induce a higher level of vibrations than usual level. A boroscope inspection can clarify this problem (I'm agree with TurboTec).

Also, in this case the noise produce by the turbine is different from a normal noise (on low frequencies especially).

Sorry for my english. Its not my native language. Regards
Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back