Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn 3d wire frames to solids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffmech2

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2003
US
Hi, I have a 3d wireframe of an assembly done in mastercam v. 9. I want to change it to 3d solids with mechanical desktop v. 4 (I know it's an older version but I'm stuck with it) so I can see the parts and assembly better and to do 2d dwgs with it in mechanical desktop. It seems to work better with solids instead of wire frames. Any ideas? Thanks and have a great day!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a MDT user, but when I made the transition from Autocad R14 to the 2000 based versions, the command "ameconvert" may change your wireframe to a solid.

Thanks TspaceJ, I tried it but it came up with errors " Ignored ** objects that are neither AME solids nor regions". What I may have to do is to go back where I got this 3d wireframe dwg from and have it re-converted to different 3d file format and see what happens. Thanks again :)

I do not know if you solved you problem, but, as far as I know, there is no way to convert a wire frame into a solid without macros. Even if macros exist out there, to write one to do this would be hard. There would need to be a lot of mathmatical logic to ensure that the 3d boundary is closed on all faces. If you've come up with a solution, please pass on the information.

DRW75

Hi DRW75, thanks for the info. I will do some research to see if I can find it. Anyway this 3d project is being put in the backburner and busy working on other projects. I'll try to find the solution and if there is, I'll post it on here. Take care and have a great and safe Holidays!

Nope.
If its a true "wireframe", with no true volumetric data, there's no way to auto-convert to solids. AMECONVERT is no use, as it has nothing to do with wireframes or even surfaces. It's just for converting old ACAD AME solids to the "newer" ACIS standard set. It works fine, but not for this application.

If ANYONE is aware of a routine that reads the wire "frames" as boundaries, and even creates closed bounding surfaces, that'd be a MAJOR start in the right direction, because there are a number of LISP routines that convert closed bounded surfaces into ACIS editable (boolean) solids. None of them are very good, but ALL result in a usable solid.

Good Luck!
C. Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back