Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn Swept face into sheet metal part, or a get a flat pattern. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo0z

Industrial
Nov 22, 2010
US
Through help from this community I have created a swept face that represents a face on a piece of aluminum crown moulding we are to build. I now need to "flatten it" so I can get a pattern to cut it out. I'm having difficulty converting it to sheet metal to do this.
Any help is greatly appreciated. We were supposed to have already started this thing, but this part is holding us up.... or I guess it's me thats holding us up :(

Using SW 2009

Thanks,
-Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried to do a lofted bend with that geometry but get errors. Can you or anyone make this work for a sheet metal part that can be flattend?
I'm down to the wire this morning on giving the shop guys a pattern.
Thanks again,
-Dan

The problem is not the sharp corners. SWX will insert the proper bends of a part of uniform thickness with sharp corners just fine. The problem is the lofted curve. SWX sheet metal functions work very, very well for parts with straight bends, i.e., bends that can be formed with a press brake. The shape in this part cannot be formed that way. (SWX can handle some special bends that cannot really be done in a press brake, but those are special cases.)

Dan, you would learn a lot by going through the SWX tutorials, all of them, especially the sheet metal ones. You will quickly learn not only what can and cannot be done, but why. You will be pleased at the rapid skill development you will gain by going through these.

- - -Updraft

Thanks for your response. I am currently reading over everything I can get my hands on.... Attached...I made a change to the drawing eliminating all bends and just keeping the middle piece. This is the critical part I need a flat pattern of. Can solid works do that? If solid works can't, do you know of a program that will?
Being able to unfold & get flat patterns of complex curve shapes is
what we are really looking forward to.
Thanks,
-Dan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3a06d962-718c-43c2-a0bb-46d731447f8b&file=NEED_FLAT_PATTERN.SLDPRT
SWX cannot flatten lofted/swept/complex bends. Keep reading the tutorials.

If you really need that function go to and select Works With: CAD, Category: Manufacturing, Sub-Category: Sheet-Metal Fabrication then check the box for Show Certified GOLD Partner Products Only.

I strongly urge caution in jumping into the complex without much background in ordinary sheet metal. Do a cram session for a few weeks if you have to get fairly capable with the basics of SWX sheet metal. You will not only learn what SWX CAN do, but you will learn a lot about sheet metal in the process. Bypassing these basics is like using FEA just because you have the software. The software is not a panacea; you still have to know what you are doing.

Good luck.

- - -Updraft

Thanks for all of your help. I'll keep learning & then check out those partners.
I appreciate the time you've given.
-Dan Hamlin

Updraft,
A co-worker pulled up a drawing someone did in the past of almost the same thing...except the radius and line length are different. Apparently it is possible. They used a lofted bend to make it "sheetmetal" that can be flattened. I just need to back track their sketches etc. to figure out exactly how they made it work.
(see attached).

-Dan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8ec122f9-006f-4971-837b-05f04891d1d6&file=LOFT.SLDPRT
Rollupswx,
Thats awesome! I opened your files, but was unable to see any sketches, just imported parts. How were you able to get a flat pattern without making it sheet metal? Did you export this to another program? I would like to learn your method if you have a moment to explain.
As far as it not being symmetrical or the dims making sense....all I can say it that the geometry is per our customer and imported as it came to us. :)
Thanks for taking the time to help out,

-Dan

I am using educational version of SolidWorks and not sure if you could open the native file.
I will try to post a SWx technique later today.
I did have to replace the spline curve you had with a circular arc curve (the difference was minimal as your spline is nearly an arc).

rollupswx:

I couldn't open the the solidworks file because I'm using 2009. I studied the sketches though and was able to recreate it on my end. Thanks again for all of your help... How long have you been doing this? Also, what have you found to be the best learning resource?

How long have you been doing this?
CAD (and some drawing board) since 1987.
SolidWorks since around 2001 (CSWP 2007)
I also teach Inventor and Creo (formerly Pro/E).

what have you found to be the best learning resource?

User forums like this. A larger variety of problems than you would see on your own and solutions from completely different perspectives than any individual is likely to discover on their own. Even if someone doesn't suggest a solution that is exactly right - it often sends the thought process down the right road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back