Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning DWGs into PDF for issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonChance

Computer
Jan 4, 2009
CN
Hi,

When turning DWGs into PDFs for issue the file sizes become massive, too big to send in an email. I find this strange because the orginal DWGs were tiny. For example drawing M/002 was 272KB as a DWG but when converted it became 2.45MB. Any ideas why this is and how I could make them smaller?

I am using AutoCAD2004LT.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that I found that when you convert to pfd you lose control of your line styles. The drawings I've converted to pdf were unusable when printed.

It depends on how you convert the DWG to PDF. There are many PDF printer drivers (some of them free) and each uses a different conversion method (e.g. converting drawings texts to individual vectors).

A more effective way of publishing a DWG drawing is using the DWF file format. Besides a smaller file size you'll get some other advantages - see:

Vladimir Michl,

Not sure how you are saving/printing to pdf but more than likely you have it set to "high quality" pdf.
Reducing the quality settings in the pdf driver settings will likely result in much smaller file sizes with little to no loss in quality/readability of the dwg's

Normally PDF files created with smaller or equal file size, but if it increases steep then there must be extensive x-referenced drawings associated with your "main" drawing, the drawing size to be converted should be main drawing plus x-ref drawings, if this is the case, there is no way to convert into smaller PDF file size and still keep all the drawing information, what I did to resolve/reduce the file size was try to convert drawing(s) into PNG image, and send out PNG file directly, get a try with the converter software, I found free download from here:

Take n ote of the X-Ref idea- sounds like a likely culprit. I use PDF995 with consistently great results. Everybody has the ability to view PDF files, so PDF stays a pretty good way to share CAD data.

CutePDF may be a good product. I've heard nothing but good about it, but I've never used it myself.

To keep it simple AND free, I use PDF995. There are others. It allows problem free conversion of all drawings. Lineweights are perfectly preserved. Title blocks in P-Space are perfectly preserved. P-Space viewports of M-Space content is perfectly preserved. So are inserted picture bitmaps (I use both JPG's and TIF's depending on what's appropriate for the particular purpose.) Text and Dimensions are perfectly preserved. In short, its just a matter of selecting PDF995 as the target printer in the ACAD Plot command, and running the plot as usual. You edit the ACAD.CTB as usual for managing linewights per color as in any plot.

There are others that work as well, but this is the one I'm most familiar with.

Good luck !

I have used PDF995 ( for many years and it has served me well. (Free version available but for $10 you can get rid of the popup.)

I made page setups for the offices (for the standard page sizes) so it is easy to make every pdf the same and use the same plot style. (We use stb’s primarily.) Prints out as expected every time.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back