Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning Radius Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimstructures

Structural
May 6, 2009
US
Does anybody have a source or citation for the math involved in calculating the turning radius and turning width of a truck without using a template in Autocad, AutoTurn or Turn.lsp. I want to calculate the required turn numbers for a heavy hauler carrying a 135' propeller blade for a wind turbine. Is it as easy as stretching the existing truck templets and adding additional axles in the tractor and trailer. I would appreciate a source or citation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was facing the same problem a few months ago, and called a manufacturer of wind turbine blade carrier trailers. I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

Hmm. These aren't exactly what you're looking for - they are tower sections, not blades. Still, I hope they help.

The Green Book used to have a formula for determining turning radii based on truck dimensions, but I don't think it accounted for the steerable rear axles on the turbine blade trucks.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d092ae94-726b-41de-8be8-b9f18c87315e&file=A900132_With_73.5ft_Tower.pdf
Based on the info I have received so far I was able to get a copy of the template for a 128' propeller trailer. So I am going to up load so that it is available for others.

I am still looking for any explanation of the math involved in laying out Turn Radius. Particularly the added complexity of steerable axles and added goose neck trailers infront of the main trailer and behind the tractor. If any body has that information I would appreciate them sharing it. I have purchased an older Green Book, "A Policy for the Design of Roadways and Streets" (Not quite sure of the title) and downloaded the NCHRP Report 505 "Review of Truck Characteristics as Factors in Roadway Design". Hope they help.

Jim

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f2466e5b-0c54-44e4-84eb-7ba914f49754&file=Eng-Tips_Turn_Radius_Blade_Hauler_Turn_Radiusl.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back