Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turning radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

bisandcan

Civil/Environmental
Aug 12, 2013
US
I am a stuctural guy trying to help someone with some drafting standards. I have been tasked with finding the turning radius of a HS-20 truck. I can't find this information anywhere, but I have found the turning radius of several vehicles. All I can find about HS-20 trucks is the load pattern. My question is this, is a HS-20 the name of the load pattern that develops from a truck, not the actual name of the truck?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a bit of both, isn't it? HS-20 (highway semi-trailer 20 ton) It looks like the design axles are 14-ft/14-30 ft:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks for the quick reply. One more question. Can a WB type truck cause a HS-20 load pattern or do I need to dig much deeper?

The answer to all of your questions can be found by visiting the following links. Please check your State Standards. For the State of California please refer to the following reference.
State of California Highway Design Manuals:
Topic 404 – 3

For Federal Standards please refer to the following reference:
A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets, 6th Edition

As you will note by reviewing the foregoing references the HS – 20 designation is no longer used.Please refer to your state standards for the proper template to use.

Editorial:
H= Highway
S= Semi Trailer
20= Twenty Tons(total weight of tractor and trailer) If you are interested in load distribution and patterns refer to AASHTO bridge design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back