Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning Templates for FedEx, UPS, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRANITE80

Civil/Environmental
Aug 9, 2006
US
I am designing a loading area for a commercial site where all deliveries are by post (FedEx, UPS, etc.)

- No frieght vehicles -

The drive aisle to the loading area "dead ends". I'm trying to determine what the minimum width needs to be for these vehicles to turnaround, with one back-up movement maximum. Any ideas?

Also - I have all of the AASHTO 2004 turning templates, can someone recommmend a standard AASHTO vehicle type that would perform similarily to a FedEx type truck?

This site is very tight, so I can't afford to be too conservative. Right now I have forty feet between the face of my loading dock and curb.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

suggest you email FedEX and UPS and ask them what size delivery vehicles they use in that area then use your standard turning curves for that vehicle

Document it and put it in a report and you cannot go wrong

they are bound to try to send a bigger vehicle one day but as you are tight on space that seems a reasonable and logical basis to make a decision on and you wont get blamed

A late post, but if you have AutoTURN, use the SU (Single Unit Truck) template. We use this one for Delivery type vehicles or trash removal trucks to determine circulation routes etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back