Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning titanium on a CNC lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwoody33

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2001
US
I'm trying to find out what the best tooling is to machine titanium (grade 2) on a CNC lathe and CNC mill. I'm currently using uncoated carbide inserts and tools. Is there anything that I can use to increase speeds and feeds without warping the part? Thanks....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Increasing speed is not usually recommended when machining titanium. Increasing feeds can be used when using the latest generation of tool inserts, copius amounts of coolant, and proper machine set-up (fixtures, geometry, etc.). Ceramic inserts with very sharp edges are replacing micrograin carbides and coated carbide inserts for roughing and finishing of titanium alloys. You can find a lot of information on machining of titanium from the following websites:

Machining sites

Titanium producer & distributor sites

Use PVD coated micro grain inserts,with sharp edges,try to avoid 95 degree lead angles.
I'm an expert on super alloy machining.
Look into turning (finishing) with PCD diamand tipped inserts,if you feel like it talk to Seco Tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back