Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two electric Services coming into one building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhasan1976

Structural
Apr 30, 2008
US
I Have a question, is there a section in the NEC 2008 where it will allow one building (that was originally two addresses) to have two separate electrical services to come into it?

The two building were consolidated to form one parcel. The ides is to have the ground floor of both building to serve as one complete commercial space while the second floor will be used as two separate apartments.

The original fire wall of ground floor which once separated the two buildings will have three openings cut into it allow the entire ground floor of both buildings to be used as one complete space.

While the second floor will be used as two separate apartment units with the original 8" brick firewall in between. The first electrical service will power the ground floor and the apartment above, while the second service will power just the upstairs apartment on the other side.

Will the NEC allow two power service to enter the building?
see attachment...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hhasan,

Fine by NEC in my opinion, as long as the six-disconnect rule is met -- this is what we do for apartment buildings and strip malls all the time. You can basically hang a meter anywhere you want.

Problem may be with your local utility or local government. They may not permit a single address to have multiple services for billing purposes.

Let's see if anyone else pitches in before you take this answer to the bank, though (I haven't even bought the 2008 NEC, our area won't adopt it for a number of years).

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

The basic NEC rule (230.2) says only one service per building. But then it goes on to give several exceptions.

I would discuss this with the local electrical inspector BEFORE you do any work. It will be up to the local authority to decide if you meet the exceptions or not.

Based on your description, this probably would be allowed.

But you should NOT try to run the service for one portion of the building through the other portion. See Article 230.3.

You also can not have the apartment and the commercial space on the same service as each dwelling unit must have its own service. Same service drop or lateral, but different services.

Make sure that you understand the difference between a service and a service entrance.
My understanding is that you may only have one set of service conductors entering the building, but you may then subdivide into several meters and sub-services.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back