Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two monitors better then one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwatts

Industrial
Jan 4, 2004
GB
I am hoping that this subject may stike up some interesting comments.

We have specified new workstations that will have a graphics card that is able to run dual monitors.

The budget included two monitors but unfortunately higher management (& input from others) over-ruled this and elected to have one monitor per workstation. I have looked through various web sites that could help explain the benefits but was hoping that any SE users with that have dual monitors could provide further debate on the subject.

The obvious are of course that monitors today are cheaper, less printing of documents and the improvement of work load within the design enviroment.

Look forward to reading the response.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Working on a single monitor is just downright painful. On V20, working on dual monitors is really nice, as you can move ALL toolbars and the edgebar to a 2nd monitor (freeing up a TON of model space) and still have enough room for web browser/spreadsheet/other document. ST2 forces you to keep the ribbon bars on the main screen (if you can't tell, I'm still quite irritated about this), but you can relocate the edge bar and edit menu/bar.

Since I do a lot of design that involves parts or components found on the web, I usually have a browser open on my 2nd monitor in which I view tech sheets, drawings, .pdf, etc. It's also good for going through the tutorials.

For reference, I use dual 24" widescreen @ work, and dual 22" widescreen at home. Monitors are relatively inexpensive these days, but I'd highly recommend against a "cheap" model as you'll be staring at it all day and it can bother your eyes.

I had two monitors for a 3 months span (borrowed a second 22" widescreen monitor from a vacant workstation).

My setup was two 22" widescreen monitors with the primary one being straight in front of me and the second one at the right on Win XP Pro

Pros:

1. Very usefull when you need to make a comparison between two files (Spreadsheets, drawings, cad model) Instead of printings one of the two documents I could drag them to the second monitor.

2. I was on V20 and I had my edgebar at the far left on the second monitor so it was just beside my primary monitor. I gained a lot of working space on the primary monitor with this.

3. I could have a large variable window open on the second monitor without hiding the model I'm working on.

4. I work a lot with windows explorer so I used to put them on the second monitor and drag my parts into the assembly without having to switch between windows.

5. It's great to have emails always available on the second screen.

Cons:

1. Two 22" widescreen monitor is way too wide in my opinion It causes a lot of mouse travel. I even tried the second monitor in portrait mode which helps a bit (especially to read documents) but then I realised It caused a lot of up and down travel for the mouse and the eyes.

2. I got neck pains from looking at the second monitor (May be due to a bad setup though, but I was 24" to 26" from the monitors which I think is good).

3. Be aware when you unplug the second monitor and you have some windows which were used to open there you won't be able to get them back without some hassle and tweaking or bringing back the second monitor and draging the window.

4. Maybe I wasn't configuring things right but it seems Windows XP doesn't handle dual monitors so well. My programs would sometimes switch from one monitor to the other. Or they would not always open on the second monitor like they should.

5. I prefer to have my taskbar on the side and to the right of my monitor. So at the right of the second monitor it was way too far, so I tried to the left but it's not working as well, so I then tried the second monitor to the left but then it was couter-intuitive for me because I'm a righty. It then became a dilema between keeping the taskbar where I like it and getting rid of the second monitor or keeping the second and moving the taskbar.

Conclusion:

Personnally I prefer one larger monitor for the following reasons: I don't have to move my head and the mouse as much. It requires less real estate on the desk. It's easier to organise windows. I can have my taskbar on the right. It's easier to focus on one thing when it takes all the space in front of you. (The second monitor would distract me with anything that was open there) I'm missing the dual monitor though for opening reference document while working on something. But I can always organise windows side by side.

I think it's beneficial to have a second monitor if you are multitasking a lot or you have smaller monitors. But it's not for me so I stick with a single monitor. Now I have a 24" widescreen and it's pretty good. I'm more efficient doing one thing at a time.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it can help you.

Patrick

Seems like most of the cons are personal preference, but in response to #1, just crank your mouse speed up to the max. It only takes about 2" of mouse travel to go across my dual 24s :)

Travis

Hi Travis!

You are right the cons are my personnal observations and preferences because besides the cost I don't see why not go for a second monitor but for me the cost is just not worth it :)

For the mouse even with the speed setting at the max I find it too long with my trackball.

If I had the budget for a second 24" monitor and two brackets to fix them to the wall I would go for it anytime and find a way to work out my taskbar dilema but I don't have the budget and I have difficulties finding strong points to convice the bean counter that I need all that money and I will use it efficiently.

Patrick

Dual monitors every time, my productivity was enhanced when I went double

I work with a lot of Autocad architectural drawings and having dwg's open on the right-hand monitor and SE on the central one. This is a major bonus.

I often have the pathfinder on the right-hand monitor if I'm working with large assemblies.

My setup is ST2 on the main monitor (22") with Q-dir file manager
On the right (20") Autocad, excel, MS project with any shortcut icons that I may need.

Firefox and word floats between screens.

Outlook sits on a laptop which is behind me, that way I can ignore the urge to keep checking mails!

Having used dual monitors for a few years now I would never willingly go back to a single.

We went for 24” main screen and 19” for the second, the reasoning being we use the main screen all the time the second screen is for comparison files or pdf files of parts, email etc so it limits the amount of mouse travel and head turning.

There are advantages in matched pairs but I feel they are outweighed by the disadvantages, I am sure other will disagree.

I have a second 19" 'narrow' monitor ready to be installed, I just need to decide if I want it next to the 21" regular monitor on my PC or to put it next to the 24" wide-screen monitor on the 'super PC'. There's no room next to the super PC right now though.

From what I've seen it looked a bit of a pain but I'm tempted to try it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I use my 19" "narrow" monitor for outlook, various reference documents, add-on programs such as FiberSim, and EngTips. The 22" widescreen gets the CAD window.
I love this arrangement and much prefer having a narrow screen for "page" type windows while the larger the better (to a point) for the CAD window.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I use a 22"wide format with a 19"4x3. Both are GOOD quality monitors not the BEST on the market, but not bad. The height of my 19"4x3 matches the 22"wide format, exactly. This is a significant advantage.

We used them first with -XP and now with VISTA.

I use multiple CAD programs, often 2 or more open at once. I get native format components, and 2D layouts which I will model in 3D on any of a number of Softwares.

I will often have EXCEL, WORD, and an internet browser window open at the same time, along with often 2 or more 3D-CAD's.

2 monitors are a necessity for me. We have mid-range NVIDEA cards, again, not the top, but DECENT. I set the 22 as my primary monitor, and run my 3D from there. If I need to open another system (ACAD, RHINO, INVENTOR, etc) I can do so easily on the 19, and because I have my primary monitor set as the 22, I notice no appreciable performance degradation. The real-estate is moderate, but I find it a GREAT compromise between size (yes mousing IS an issue, as too "fast" = loss of precision) and visiblity, and I'm equally pleased with the VISTA performance and the -XP. I still run -XP on my laptop and plug a second monitor at home- my 22"4x3, and alongside the laptop 17" wide format, I get great results.

Bottom line- 2 Monitors is the recommended format. If one only, go with as large as you can get approved. The improvement in your workflow will be huge !

Good luck-

C. Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back